Plantoil/diesel conversion basics
Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
doktordubbs

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
I am preparing to convert a 1980 VW Dasher to wvo. My wvo experience is limited but what I have worked on have been w/ VW engines.

There isn't a lot of info out there about the Dasher. I know it has a 48 hp engine and in many ways seems similar to the Rabbit from the same era.

Any advice on configurations of my wvo system on the Dasher (or general success/horror/cautionary tales of wvo and late 70s early 80s VWs) would be appreciated!



danalinscott

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 934
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Any advice on configurations of my wvo system on the Dasher (or general success/horror/cautionary tales of wvo and late 70s early 80s VWs) would be appreciated!


I just completed a search for info on converting older VW and what little that exists seems very outdated. My first VO conversion experiment was on an early 80s Rabbit but THAT was a VERY primitive conversion indeed.  We have learned a LOT that should be applicable and make both a better and simpler/cheaper conversion for the older VW diesels. There biggest difference with VW diesels is that they incorporate the "lift pump" (which is a separate pump in most other engines) IN the Injector Pump. This dictates that unless an aux lift pump is used the VO filter must be one that can deal with constant and sometimes high vacuum.

 Schematic #15 is my recommendation for a basic early VW diesel VO conversion configuration. If the electric fuel pumps used do not have integral one way valves they must be added to each fuel circuit. I might suggest using a flat plate heat exchanger instead of the tube in tube "YellowJacket" type heat exchanger, and adding Injector Line Heaters to boost final VO temp for more complete combustion since older VWs seem to have more of a tendency to piston/land/ring coking.

If you have not already read the "10 steps" tutorial I suggest you do so now as it should provide a better understanding of the conversion process.
The 10 steps tutorial is at:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?id=1156996
 
 
 
An indexed discussion on individual conversion components with links to vendors is at: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/voconversionbasics?forum=55421  

Let me know if you need more info.


 


__________________
Dana danalinscott@yahoo.com
doktordubbs

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Dana!

I was going to go w/ the Racor 690 externally heated filter, but it sounds like I may need a more heavy-duty one? My friend’s dad works at a barge maintenance service and may be able to get me a heavy-duty marine diesel filter. Any suggestions on model/brand I should ask him to look for?

I was already planning on using the FPHE, and I can add a line heater at the injector too – do you advise going with the 3-port fuel valve? It seems more advantageous to me to use the 6-port for ease of system flushing, unless I’m missing something here.

Finally, how would I know if my fuel pump that’s already in the car has an integral one-way valve? Do I need one on both the diesel and the veg-oil pump?

Thanks much

w


danalinscott

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 934
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktordubbs
Thanks Dana!

I was going to go w/ the Racor 690 externally heated filter, but it sounds like I may need a more heavy-duty one? My friend’s dad works at a barge maintenance service and may be able to get me a heavy-duty marine diesel filter. Any suggestions on model/brand I should ask him to look for?


Many assume that they need a heavy duty filter for VO conversions. They don't. They need a high temperature filter. There are few if any commercial diesel filters that are able to get warm enough to use for VO. HERE is a discussion on this subject. And HERE is more info on heated filters. Some use a slightly modified second VW filter in VWs as the VO filter. But other possibilities are listed in the second link above.

Quote:
I was already planning on using the FPHE, and I can add a line heater at the injector too – do you advise going with the 3-port fuel valve? It seems more advantageous to me to use the 6-port for ease of system flushing, unless I’m missing something here.


If you are planning on using the above configuration no only a 3 port valve is needed. And if you plan to use another configuration two 3 ports are usually preferable to a single 6 port.

Quote:

Finally, how would I know if my fuel pump that’s already in the car has an integral one-way valve? Do I need one on both the diesel and the veg-oil pump?   


I believe your fuel pump is integrated in the IP of your engine. If you plan to use the above schematic then yes..you need an electric pump on both the VO and diesel fuel supply lines.

__________________
Dana danalinscott@yahoo.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

This forum is brought to you by A proud sponsor of Invest in the future.